The hype surrounding the Manny Pacquiao vs Adrien Broner is getting bigger and bigger. Reason being, because on Jan. 2nd, Pacquiao made his intentions clear during a recent workout at Trainer Freddie Roach’s Wild Card Boxing Club in Los Angeles, California. He stated as he was getting his hands taped before a workout, not only does he want to win, but he wants to knock Broner out.
He’s considered to be the favorite even at 40-years-old of age over the 29-year-old Broner. And, all indications point to him coming out on top. Don’t believe it, well, here are all the reasons why:
- Pacquiao, who is from the Philippines, has a better record of 60-7-2 with 39 KO’s while Broner, who is from Cincinnati, Ohio in the United States, has a record that’s not as good at 33-3-1 with 24 KO’s.
- Pacquiao is ranked higher in the welterweight division in 4th place while Broner is only ranked ninth.
- The Filipino has more world titles in multiple weight classes at 8 while Broner has managed to grab just 4 of them.
- Pacquiao is a Southpaw fighter while Broner fights using an orthodox style. His southpaw style makes it harder for orthodox fighters to connect their punches.
- Broner has had a longer lay-off from fighting since his last contest was in July of 2017, almost 18 months ago, when he lost to American Mikey Garcia. In contrast, Pacquiao fought just a half a year ago when he knocked out Lucas Matthysse, from Argentina, in the seventh round who had a 39-5-1 record with 36 KO’s before the fight. With that win, Pacquiao became the WBA (Regular) Welterweight champion. He will defend that belt against Broner during their fight.
Even though there are all these reasons why Pacquiao will probably end up with the win over Broner, the fight should still be a close one due to the fact that Broner has something to prove. He’s been called soft by boxing experts because he hasn’t been able to make weight in previous fights. He’s had legal troubles, has lost focus on the sport he loves from time to time, and has appeared to have just given up. Against Pacquiao though, it seems that Broner is ready to put the past behind him and make a positive change for the better with a victory.
With two motivated fighters, the stage is definitely set for a tough battle between Pacquiao and Broner. If you can’t get to Las Vegas to check it out in person, just purchase the pay-per-view for it or better yet, watch Manny Pacquiao vs Adrien Broner live streaming online for free.